Day 1

I arrived at Heritage University not knowing where the People of the River staff was going to take the group of more than 10 individuals. The group consisted of high school students and the other half, college students. As we prepare ourselves for the trip, one of Yakama Nation coordinator gave the group a presentation that consisted in how climate change is affecting the reservation. Yakima Nation reservation land and culture is very sacred to the tribe and has decided to begin a climate adaptation plan, with the support of the organizations and USDA guidance, to ensure the reservation stays for many years through sustainable environmental practices. The Climate action plan also involves cattle and other animals who are very important to the culture of the region.

As Jonalee Squeochs was presenting, I was pondering about my internship with YCH HOPS and the project I’m working on. The project consists of recommending the company in ways they should communicate (marketing messaging) their CSR/Sustainability program. Comin to this trip impacted my thinking in how much issues the community faces in electricity, water, CO2 and other inefficient practices farmers and companies are doing.


Patatoe Hill was extremely uncomfortable due to the fact there were many mosquitos and the temperatures began to increase higher and higher. The only factor that was keeping the mosquitos away was the fire smoke and the 100 times had to put mosquito repellant. The night was very cold I had to cover myself with two sleeping bags and the extra blanket I brought with me. I usually don’t take many blankets because I’m used to being in lower altitude and it was my first time in high altitude experiencing low temperatures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5

Day 3